Tuesday 3 January 2012

Before I Die by Jenny Downham- Review





Before I die by Jenny Dowham, makes you realise how fragile everything we take for granted is. Getting up in the morning, spending the day knowing you still have tomorrow and looking forward to things in the future...


Tessa Scott has a list. She has a list of ten things to do before she dies.

When Tessa was 12, she was diagnosed with cancer. Now at the age of 16 she wants to live through all the things she wants to do before she dies.

Number 1: Sex

While I was reading this I thought, 'Oh here we go again'. But luckily enough for me, it changed. Not just in how Tessa handled her life, but the way Jenny Downham brough the characters feelings/emotions to life.

The word building and structure of this novel was literally breath taking. I couldn't put the book down, wondering what would happen next.

Cal, Tessa's 11 year old brother just seemed like a random extra character. But as the book builds, along with the tension. You begin to realise how important he is along with Zoey.

Zoey, Tessa's best friend, just seemed like a prop at first. The fun, rebel teenager. But like all other charcters in the book, reality sets in, and the unexpected happens. She also will face decisions, just like Adam.

Adam is the shy neighbour, that Tessa can't keep herself from.
Adam is looking after his ill mother, while also coping with a loss. With everything else on his plate, he has to face a massive decision on letting Tessa into his life. While knowing he could lose her too at any moment.

Tessa's mum and dad also put out a big influence throughout the novel. Espiecially the dad, and I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

This book was really set out well and the storyline was written out perfectly.

I really enjoyed this novel, I hope you other fellow readers that decide to read it, will find it as amazing as I did. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment